- This event has passed.
2021 OMS Fall Mycology Camp — CANCELLED
October 22, 2021 @ 5:00 pm – October 24, 2021 @ 11:00 am PDT
The 2021 Fall Mycology Camp has been cancelled.
We are currently planning on having a 2021 Fall Mycology Camp, with significant changes due to COVID, including:
– The number of participants will be significantly reduced in order to maintain sufficient social distancing;
– Participants will be housed in family groups;
– Proof of vaccination will be required for registration.
We’ll email the membership with updated details and registration information when we’re close to the event. (The notification is typically sent in March or April.)
The goal of OMS Mycology Camps is to teach people about wild mushrooms; the camps are not merely for foraging. Activities include:
- Review seasonal mushrooms species including edibles and non-edibles
- Evening presentations on both Friday and Saturday.
- Saturday field trips. We’re interested in tracking all mushroom species growing in the area, not merely looking for edibles. We’ll have microscopes, books, and experienced Society members to help identify your mushrooms. We preserve unusual collections for scientific research.
- Mushroom identification, and macroscopic and microscopic study of mushrooms
- Sunday morning walk through and discussion of specimens
OMS Mycology Camp is a great place to learn about mushrooms. It’s also an opportunity to meet and socialize with other amateur mycologists. This is a great time for the novice, the expert, and everyone in between.
The OMS Fall Mycology Camp takes place at Camp Magruder, Rockaway Beach, Oregon. We really like this location. A wide variety of mushrooms can be found in and near camp. The area is a rich mushroom habitat and also has a great diversity of mushrooms, plants, lichens, and birds.
Accomodations at Camp is very basic. You must bring your own bedding, towels, and toiletries. Children are welcome. Pets are not allowed. We will house everyone who is listed on your registration in the same room or cabin (unless your party if very big). Smaller groups or individuals may be housed with other attendees as necessary.
Check out the camp website if you’d like to know more: http://www.campmagruder.org
The camp staff prepares tasty and wholesome meals. Vegetarian and vegan options are available at every meal upon request. However, the camp staff needs to know ahead of time, so please request vegan or vegetarian meals on your registration application. If you have special dietary needs or allergies, please include this information with your registration application and we will see what can be accommodated (within reason, please).
We are always interested in volunteers to help at the camp (especially people to help lead field trips). Please indicate if you are interested during the registration process.
This is a member-only event. (No guests are allowed.) Each participant must be an OMS member both at the time of registration and during the event. We restrict participation both to limit liability and to satisfy the high demand for events from members.) We reserve the rights to cancel reservations and/or refuse participation to an entire party if any member of the party is a non-member at time of registration or the event.
Fall Camp Coordinator