Montana Morchella Morbidity
After eating in the same restaurant, 50 people were sickened, several were hospitalized, and 2 died. Morchella (morels) are the likely cause. (“[P]reliminary analysis strongly suggests that … morel mushrooms were the food item that caused the outbreak.”1 “Available epidemiological evidence indicates that imported cultivated morel mushrooms, consumed at a single Montana restaurant, were the likely source of illnesses.”3)
- All Morchella contain toxins and should be cooked thoroughly before consuming.3
- Be certain of the identity of each mushroom that you consume3 even if they are store-bought.4
- Check our FAQs on Eating Wild Mushrooms.
1. Gallatin City-County Health Department, “Gallatin City-County Health Department Rescinds Closure Order and Institutes New Health Officer Order with Corrective Actions Required Prior to Dave’s Sushi Reopening”. https://www.healthygallatin.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Press-Release-Daves-Sushi-Update-May-17-2023.pdf
2. Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, “Gallatin City-County Health Department, DPHHS Continue to Investigate Foodborne Outbreak” (May 3, 2023). https://dphhs.mt.gov/News/2023/May/GallatinCity-CountyHealthDepartment,DPHHSContinuetoInvestigateFoodborneOutbreak
3. U.S. Food & Drug Administration, “Investigation of Illnesses: Morel Mushrooms” (May 2023) https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/investigation-illnesses-morel-mushrooms-may-2023
4. “Mushroom Mixes: Do You Know What You’Re Buying?” OMS Blog Post (May 22, 2023).