Montana Morchella Morbidity

After eating in the same restaurant, 50 people were sickened, several were hospitalized, and 2 died. Morchella (morels) are the likely cause. (“[P]reliminary analysis strongly suggests that … morel mushrooms were the food item that caused the outbreak.”1 “Available epidemiological evidence indicates that imported cultivated morel mushrooms, consumed at a single Montana restaurant, were the likely source of illnesses.”3)

The mushrooms were cultivated Morchella, imported from China.2 For more details read the References below.

And remember:

  • All Morchella contain toxins and should be cooked thoroughly before consuming.3
  • Be certain of the identity of each mushroom that you consume3 even if they are store-bought.4
  • Check our FAQs on Eating Wild Mushrooms.


1. Gallatin City-County Health Department, “Gallatin City-County Health Department Rescinds Closure Order and Institutes New Health Officer Order with Corrective Actions Required Prior to Dave’s Sushi Reopening”.

2. Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, “Gallatin City-County Health Department, DPHHS Continue to Investigate Foodborne Outbreak” (May 3, 2023).,DPHHSContinuetoInvestigateFoodborneOutbreak

3. U.S. Food & Drug Administration, “Investigation of Illnesses: Morel Mushrooms” (May 2023)

4. “Mushroom Mixes: Do You Know What You’Re Buying?” OMS Blog Post (May 22, 2023).